Monday 1 October 2012

Review of ‘Image makers, Image takers’ by Anne-Celine Jaeger



‘Image makers, Image takers’ by Anne – Celine Jaeger is where you discover several insights to how a photographer thinks.  This book has five categories; art documentary, fashion and advertising, portraiture and next generation, which 22 inspirational photographers are separated into. This book provides a run of interviews of contemporary photographers and those who work with photos, such as curators and publishers.

Ellen Von Unworth ‘I’m not into digital, I’m going to use film for as long as it exists because I actually think digital isn’t faster, you might have the picture straight away, but after you have to do so much retouching.’ This gives me a different outlook on taking a photograph; I now think to consider focusing on the image from the camera rather than in postproduction. This process will also improve my photographing skills and give me more factors to consider. Rankin ‘I usually start by looking at contact sheets from a distance, I focus on a shape and composition.’  This has made me reflect on what I do which is look at each photograph separately, because by doing what Rankin does gives you a whole view of them all and can highlight aspects that you may have previously missed.  This technique I feel will help me better when selecting photographs for a series and following both quotes I will now have a better viewpoint of colour, shape, distance and composition.