Monday 11 March 2013

Daido Moriyama

Daido Moriyama is a Japanese Photographer whose approach to photography is different to many that I have researched. After watching a documentary on him in Japan I understand his way of taking his photographs. Referring himself to a stray dog as he goes around Shinjuku with a compact camera taking his photographs: as to other people it isn't intimidating. His choose to look through the lens at what he is capturing varies therefore they do not always turn out straight with a landscape view. I also looked at his photo book ‘ByeBye’ photography which shows his images full bleed and you feel as though they are going to burst out the pages as you flick through them which revert to how he takes his images. His style of images of his New York photographs are similar to the ones taken in Japan. His Images are shot on black and white film with a high contrast.


  From looking at Daido’s photography through the street alleys of Japan and New York especially the two above; my interpretation on his photography involved exploring the busy New York City and in Times Square I began to take images to capture the busy streets from different angles and directions and like Moriyama not giving to much away of anything specific which is why there is a slant to my image showing little bits of cars, people and then buildings. As I shot in digital and not film, I put the camera to a high ISO to give a grainy effect like his. It was in post-production where I turned the image to black and white as well as altering the levels to give a high contrast to the photograph.